- 2 cups of sourdough sponge (prepared the night before from 1 cup of starter, 1 cup of flour, and 1 cup of tepid water as described above) see recipe for sourdough starter – Click Here
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (or 1 tablespoon of honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of tepid water.
- Separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another.
- Beat the whites until they’re fluffy, then fold in the sugar or honey.
- Beat the yolks lightly and add the salt.
- Now stir the sourdough sponge into the egg yolks, then gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Finally, mix the baking soda with the water and blend this into the batter by hand.
- Drop the batter by large spoonfuls onto a well-greased, preheated (medium-hot) griddle—or use a seasoned cast-iron frying pan.
- Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on both sides, flipping them only once, when the tops are full of bubbles.
Makes 20 medium sized cakes