- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. thinly sliced guanciale, pancetta, or chopped unsmoked bacon
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz. can peeled tomatoes with juices, crushed by hand
- Kosher salt
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add guanciale and sauté until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add pepper flakes and black pepper; stir for 10 seconds.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 15-20 minutes.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days
When ready to use
Heat sauce in skillet.
Prepare your favorite spaghetti or Bucatini pasta per directions on package reducing cooking time by about 1 minute and drain pasta holding approximately 1 cup of pasta water in reserve.
Add prepared paste to skillet and toss vigorously with tongs to coat. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and cook until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente, about 2 minutes. (Add a little pasta water if sauce is too dry.) Stir in 1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino Romanio (about 1 oz.) cheese and transfer pasta to warmed bowls.