- 2 cups sugar divided
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
Preheat oven to 325⁰ F.
- In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat cook 1 cup of sugar until it begins to melt.
- Gently pull melted sugar to the center of the pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook without stirring, until dark reddish brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Quickly pour into eight ungreased 6-ounce ramekin or custard cups, tilting to cover bottoms. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of the saucepan.
- Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and remaining sugar.
- Stir 1 cup of warm milk into egg mixture return all to pan and mix well.
- Add extracts. Slowly pour into prepared dishes.
- Place ramekins in a baking dish add 1 inch of boiling water to pan.
- Bake at 325⁰ for 30 to 35 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle).
- Remove ramekins from water bath. Cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours,
- Carefully run a knife around edge of dishes to loosen. Invert each dish onto a rimmed serving dish.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate, stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over flans. Sprinkle with almonds and coconut.