- 1 cup ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice or 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup imitation bacon bits, ground in a spice grinder
- 1⁄3 cup peeled and grated apple
- 1⁄3 cup grated onion
- 2 teaspoons grated green bell peppers
- Mix together the ketchup, rice vinegar, apple juice or cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne, and bacon bits in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in apple, onion, and bell pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Stir it often.
- Allow to cool, then pour into sterilized glass jars. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
To make this sauce a little hotter, add more cayenne pepper to taste, approximately another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Be careful; a little cayenne goes a long way.
Makes 3 cups