- 2 ¼ cups unbleached unsifted all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 6 tablespoons very cold water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons up to 3 tablespoons as needed tapioca flour or cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼ inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with chopping blades, process flour and salt five seconds.
- Add butter and pulse four times.
- Divide shortening into four lumps and add to bowl. Pulse four times and scrape the bowl.
- In a liquid measure, combined the cold water with vinegar.
- With machine running, slowly add mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube. Keep pulsing until dough almost gathers together. There should be several large clumps of dough in the bowl.
- Remove the dough and gently pressed together. Divide dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other.
- Shape each piece of dough into a 6 inch desk, dust with flour, and wrap lightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour.
- When ready to bake, place one oven rack in the lowest position and another in the center of the oven. Place a heavy baking sheet on the lower rack and heat oven to 450°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the larger pastry disk into a 13 inch circle. Fold dough into quarters. Center the point of the dough in the center of the 9 inch pie plate, then unfold from the dough.
- Lift the overhanging edge of pastry all around the pie plate so that the pastry lines the plate loosely but snugly; do not stretch the dough to fit. Leave excess pastry overhanging edge.
- Between two sheets of floured wax paper, roll remaining pastry disk into a 12 inch circle.
- In a large bowl, combine ¾ cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, tapioca flour, and salt.
- Add apples and toss to combine. Drizzle lemon juice over apple filling, toss again to combine.
- Spoon filling into pie plate, mounding apples in center.
- Distribute butter pieces evenly over filling. Lightly brush overhanging edge of pastry with water.
- Remove top layer of waxed paper from pastry circle; invert pastry on top of filling. Press edges to firmly seal. Using scissors, trim excess pastry to within ½ inch of rim. Flute edges.
- Lightly brush the top crust with water and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Using knife, cut for sleds in the top crust.
- Place pie on baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Transfer the pie and baking sheet to center rack and reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Continue baking until crust has browned and thickened juices are bubbling, about one hour more. Transfer pie to wire rack; let cool completely before serving.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.
Use a Pie & Cake Marker to cut in steam hole and help in cutting equal portions.