- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- Confectioners’ (powdered or icing) sugar – optional
- Softly whipped cream – optional
For the Apples
- In a large 9- or 10-inch heavy nonstick ovenproof skillet melt the butter.
- Add the sliced apples, sugar, and cinnamon and sautéed the apples until tender.
For the Batter
- In your food processor or blender place all the batter ingredients. Process for about 45-60 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Once the batter is completely smooth, pour over the apples.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the popover is puffed and golden brown
- DO NOT open the oven door until the end of the baking time or it may collapse.
- Serve immediately with a dusting of sugar and/or softly whipped cream.