- 1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour, if desired substitute all that purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- One egg, beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices together three times.
- Cream shortening with sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and beat thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients and applesauce alternatively in small amounts, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into greased pan and bake in 350° oven for 45 – 60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely then frost with Carmel Fudge icing
Makes one (8 x 8″) cake.
- Cook sugar with cream in saucepan until it forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water (approx. 234-240 degrees on candy thermometer).
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Remove from heat, stir until it has cooled and gotten to spreading consistency.
- After frosting cake, let sit for 2 hours to allow icing to set.