Maker 4 servings
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large tomatillos (about 1 ½ inch diameter), husked, rinsed, and finely diced
- 1 small pear-shaped tomato, cored and finely diced.
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese or finely shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Lemon wedges
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Chop off and discard the tough ends of asparagus; rinse spears.
- Pour water to a depth of 1 inch into a wide frying pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add asparagus and cook, uncovered, until barely tender when pierced (3 to 5 minutes); drain. Immerse in ice water. When cool, drain again; arrange on a platter or on 4 salad plates.
- Mix oil, tomatillos, and tomato; spoon over asparagus, Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with lemon wedges.
- If desires, season to taste with salt and pepper.