Jalapeno pimento cheese:
- Two 7 ounce jars diced pimentos
- Two 10 ounce bricks sharp cheddar, finely grated
- One 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
Fried green tomatoes:
- 4 medium green tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- One and three-quarter teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all – purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Three large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Oil, for frying
- 8 slices thick – cut Applewood smoked bacon
- 8 slices white Italian sandwich bread
For the jalapeno pimento cheese:
- Drain 1 jar of the pimentos and place in a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth. Drain the second jar. Using an electric mixer, combine that cheddar, cream cheese, purebred pimentos and diced pimentos, beating until smooth. Add the mayonnaise and jalapenos and mix until fully combined.
For the fried green tomatoes:
- Cut the ends off the tomatoes and sliced into one quarter – inch – thick slices. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the four, cayenne peppers, paprika, 1/4 teaspoons salt, and a pinch of freshly ground pepper. In a second a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs in buttermilk. In a third shallow bowl whisk together the Panko and cornmeal and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Working with one tomato slice at a time, coat tomato with the flour mixture, shaking off the excess. Then coat with the egg mixture, followed by the Panko mixture. Transfer to a parchment – lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes.
- Heat 2 cups oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it a pinch of Panko sizzles when dropped and. carefully place some of the tomatoes into the heat oil in a single layer. Fry until Golden Brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towels – lined baking sheet. Repeat the frying process with the remaining tomatoes, changing the oil if the particles left in the oil between batches begins to burn.
For the BPT:
- Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium – high heat until desired crispness, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Butter the outside side of each slice of bread, place one slice in a pan buttered side down, spread on half of the cheese, then top with the the fried green tomato slices and bacon followed by the remaining cheese and slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.