Whenever I have a recipe calling for cooked beets, I bake them. It’s easier to remove the skin and I think they taste better than boiled beets. The flavor is left in the beet not the boiling water.
- 3 -4 medium unpeeled unwashed whole beets
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Trim roots and stems to 1/2″, do not cut beets further! DO NOT WASH BEETS!
- If there is dirt that bothers you, wipe it off with a paper towel; moisture will cause the beets to steam and that is not what you want.
- Place beets in a casserole dish, cover with the lid and seal the entire casserole tightly with foil; bake at 400° for 60-90 minutes.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, remove the roots and skins; if you’re using the beets whole leave the tails on, otherwise remove them; the skin can be easily slipped off with your fingers.
Beets are ready to be used in any recipe calling for cooked beets