Bavarian Pot Roast
- 3 lbs. boneless chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 medium apples cored, quartered, with the skin left on
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ cup of apple juice
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Prepare pot roast by trimming off excess fat. Lightly rub with vegetable oil and dust with salt, black pepper, and ginger. Insert cloves into roast.
- Place apples and onions into crockpot and place roast on top, cutting in half if necessary.
- Pour apple juice over roast and cover. Cook on low for 10-12 hours. Remove contents of crockpot to a warm platter, leaving any remaining juices.
- Turn crock pot to high. In small bowl combine flour and water to form a smooth paste. Stir into crock pot and cover. Cook on high until juices have thickened to desired consistency. Pour over pot roast.