- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 chicken legs and thighs, still connected, bone in, skin on
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 Tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika if available
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Brine
- In a mixing bowl combine the water, salt, sugar, garlic and thyme.
- Transfer the brine to a 2 gallon sized re-sealable plastic bag.
- Add the chicken, close the bag and refrigerate 2 hours (if you’ve only got 15 minutes, that’s fine) to allow the salt and seasonings to penetrate the chicken.
For the Sauce
- Wrap the bacon around the bunch of thyme and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme and cook slowly 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly without coloring for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low.
- Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Once the sauce is done cooking, remove about 1 ½ cups of the sauce and reserve for serving alongside the chickens at the table. The rest of the bbq sauce will be used for basing the legs.
Cooking the Chicken
- Preheat oven 375⁰ F.
- Preheat a grill pan or an outdoor gas or charcoal barbecue to a medium heat. Take a few paper towels and fold them several times to make a thick square. Blot a small amount of oil on the paper towel and carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill to make a nonstick surface.
- Take the chicken out of the brine, pat it dry on paper towels.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the preheated grill and cook, turn once mid-way, and cook for a total of 10 minutes.
- Transfer the grill marked chicken to a cookie sheet and then place in the oven.
- Cook the chicken for 15 minutes, remove it from the oven and brush liberally, coating every inch of the legs with the barbecue sauce and then return to the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Bast the chicken for a second time half way through remaining cooking time.
Serve with extra sauce.