This is a Kansas City-style sauce made in Big Al’s restaurant. It is sweet and smoky with a little bite.”
Big Al’s Kansas City Bar-B-Q Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter.
- Season with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, celery seed, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes.
- For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary.
- Brush sauce onto any kind of meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking.