- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ pounds fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup cream
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, onion, carrot, salt and pepper and saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color. Add stock and bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. Pour in cream.
- With an immersion blender puree the soup. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and then replace the lid back on the pot.
Serve hot with Croutons or Oyster crackers.