- 1 small acorn squash
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the unpeeled squash crosswise into 1/2-inch slices and place them on a cutting board. Using a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter slightly larger than the seed center, cut out the seeds from each ring and discard.
- Place the squash rings on a lightly buttered baking sheet. Dot each ring with butter and season to taste. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over each ring.
- Bake the squash for 15 minutes. Turn the rings over, dot with more butter and sugar, and bake until tender, 5 to 10 minutes longer.