- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup firmly packed Brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups mashed banana (about three medium bananas)
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons rum extract (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until butter begins to foam. Continue cooking, without stirring, until butter is Golden Brown and has a nutty aroma. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl, discarding solids. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until butter has solidified but is not cold.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray a 10 x 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together banana, buttermilk, and rum extract. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for up to three months.
Makes one – 10 inch loaf
We use USA Pans 10 x 5 x3 inch loaf pan, it’s aluminized steel with americoat allows for even baking and loaf removal. This pan is 5 star rated.