- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 cups of buttermilk, more or less
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the skillet
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup of the buttermilk with 2 tablespoons of melted butter and the eggs.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Gently combine, adding vanilla extract and additional buttermilk as needed.
- Mixture should be fairly thick and lumpy, but pourable; avoid over mixing.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium high heat, add additional butter, non-stick spray or cooking oil to the pan.
- Spoon 1/3 cup measure of batter onto pan leaving at least 1/2 inch between each.
- When pancakes begin to bubble up and edges appear to be dry, turn over to brown the other side.
- Repeat with remaining butter and batter.
Serve immediately with additional butter, warmed syrup