- 1 cup warm buttermilk (105° to 110°)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup +1/4 cup butter, melted and divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine buttermilk, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes or until mixture is foaming.
- To yeast mixture, add 1/3 cup melted butter, eggs, and salt, and beat at medium-low speed until combined. Gradually add 4 cups flour, beating until combined. Turn out dough onto a floured work surface, and knead in enough remaining flour until a smooth and elastic dough forms. Shape dough into a ball.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm draft free place (85°) for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Spray a 13 X9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 24 pieces, and shape each piece into a ball. Place dough balls in prepared pan, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush dough with remaining 1/4 cup melted butter, and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 15 minutes or until Golden Brown. Serve warm, or let cool completely and freeze in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags for up to 2 weeks.
Makes two dozen rolls.