Butternut Squash, Apple, and Hazelnut Muffins
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced (3 cups)
- 3/4 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 sweet apple, such as Gala, peeled, cored, and grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 baking cups.
- Steam squash until tender, about 10 minutes, then transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup squash puree, sugars, oil, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well incorporated, then fold in apple. Spoon batter into baking cups and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. We use the Surpahs 3 Tier Stainless Steel Cooling Racks Click Here