This recipe is not just for breakfast. Try it with shore lunch or dinner over the campfire or at home on the grill.
Campfire Breakfast Potatoes
- 5 lbs (about 6) Russet potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Lots of pepper, to taste
- Campfire or grill
- Cast iron skillet We use Lodge cast iron 10″ skillet
- Cutting board
- Long spatula We use a Mr. Grill 18″ barbecue spatula/turner
- Coat the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of olive oil, about 2 tablespoons, and place the pan over the coals of your campfire, on a grate.
- Add the onion and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, peppers, and another 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to coat. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, until potatoes start to brown.
- Add a few tablespoons of water, and cover with foil to steam for about 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings, continue to stir occasionally until fully browned, crispy, and tender in the middle.
Serve alongside your favorite breakfast items.