- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Baking Yeast
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups warm half-and-half cream (70° to 80°)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 4 to 5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Add yeast mixture, cream and egg yolks; stir until mixture forms a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions.
- Roll each portion into an 18×4-in. rectangle; cut into 4×1-in. strips.
- Place two strips side by side; twist together.
- Shape into a ring and pinch ends together. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2-in.-deep indentation in the center of each Danish.
- Fill each with about 1 tablespoon pie filling.
- Bake 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla, salt and enough cream to reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle over Danish.
Makes 3 dozen.