- 4 cups pitted sour or sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (not thawed, see Tips)
- 1 cup water
- 2-4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar or superfine sugar
- Puree cherries, water and sugar to taste in a blender until smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. (Discard solids.)
- Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions until firm and slushy. (We use a Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet maker)
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
Makes 8 one-half cup servings
To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—We use a Prepworks cherry pitter/slicer