- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup chopped sweet red peppers
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- ½ up onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat (1% milk fat) milk
- 1 ½ cups Chicken Stock or low sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups bite-size pieces cooked chicken (about 10 ounces)
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 8 ounces curly or plain egg noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
For the Toppings:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine
- ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ F. and oil a 2 ½ quart shallow casserole dish.
- In a 4 quart nonstick Dutch oven or large saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the mushrooms, red peppers, carrot, celery, and onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute or until bubbly. Gradually whisk in the milk and stock and bring to a boil, then stir in the poultry seasoning, salt and black pepper.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, peas and noodles; spoon into the casserole.
To make the toppings:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Remove from the heat, stir in the bread crumbs and parsley, and sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
- Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown.
To safely handle hot pans we use KitchenReady Oven Gloves Click Here