- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable shortening
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- Slice pork roast into three-quarter inch slices; cut slices into three-quarter inch cubes.
- Heat bacon drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown pork. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until onions are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is very tender and liquid is thickened.
- Stir occasionally.
Makes 8 servings