Chinese Restaurant Fried Rice with Ham
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 ham steak (cut into cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 2 eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cook your rice (I use a rice cooker). You want it a bit on the crunchy side, so even though you might want to add more water, DON’T.
- Let your rice cool completely (spread it out on a baking sheet and put it in the freezer if in a hurry). You can even cook your rice the night before and let cool in the fridge.
- Heat a wok over high heat with 1 tbs. of oil. Add eggs and scramble until cooked. Add ham and peas and fry for about a minute.(You can add or omit any veggie/meat combo you want.).
- Remove omelet from wok. Clean the wok out a bit so the leftover egg doesn’t burn while you’re heating up your wok and oil again.
- Add remaining oil to the wok and heat over high heat until it is very hot. Add your cold rice to the wok and stir to coat every grain. (You can add some more oil if you want; it just depends on how greasy you like it.).