- 1 1/4 cups crushed chocolate graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks until smooth. In a medium saucepan, cook milk over medium – low heat just until bubbles begin to form around edges of pan.
- Whisking constantly, slowly add one fourth of hot milk to egg yolk mixture.
- Whisking constantly, add egg yolk mixture to milk in saucepan. Increase heat to medium, and cook, whisking frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in all chocolate, butter, and vanilla until melted and smooth. Spoon mixture into prepared crust, and cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto chocolate mixture to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or for up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Spread Swiss meringue on top of chilled pie, and broil for 30 seconds or until top is lightly browned.
Makes 1 – 9 inch pie
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, over simmering water until mixture registers 140°F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat at high speed for 10 minutes until thick, white and fluffy use immediately, do not store.
Makes about 4 cups