- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 large oranges)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Orange rind strips (optional)
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly.
- Place rhubarb mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place a freezer-safe bowl in a freezer for 10 minutes. Spoon sorbet into bowl; cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm. Garnish with mint and rind, if desired.
You can vary this simple dessert by using fresh tangerine, red grapefruit, or blood orange juice in place of the orange juice.