- 1 cup sifted cake flour, if desired substitute all – purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup egg whites (egg – 10 eggs)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350⁰.
- Whisk flour and 1/4 cup sugar together four times.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until frothy throughout.
- Add remaining sugar in small amounts and beat after each addition, preferably with a rotary beater.
- Egg whites should have fine, even texture and be stiff enough to hold a peak but not dried.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts.
- Sift 1/4 of flour at a time over mixture and fold in lightly.
- Pour into large ungreased tube pan; cut through batter with spatula to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Invert pan and let cake hang until cool.
Make 1 (9 – inch) cake.