- 3 lbs. packaged corned beef, including spice packet
- 1 large head of cabbage, sliced into ½ inch wide slices
- 2 to 3 medium sized carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 to 4 new potatoes quartered
- Remove corned beef from package and place in a large 6 to 8 quart stock pot and add enough water to cover the corned beef by at least 1 inch. Empty the contents of the spice packet that came with the corned beef into the stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2 – 3 hours, until the corned beef is fork tender. Remove from pot to a cutting board but do not slice until cabbage and vegetables have been cooked.
- Once you have removed the corned beef from the pot, taste the liquid. If it is too salty, add more water to the pot.
- Add the cabbage and any other vegetables (carrots, new potatoes) to the pot.
- Raise the heat until the liquid is simmering well. Simmer until the cabbage and any other vegetables are cooked through, 15 – 30 minutes.
- Slice corned beef by slicing against the grain, cut into ½ inch thick slices.
- Place vegetables in a serving bowl, add a little of the cooking liquid to the bowl and serve.
Serve with Irish Soda bread.