- 3 TBSPs unsalted butter
- 1/2 of a small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 TBSP dried basil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 TBSPs all-purpose flour
- 2 cups V8
- 28 oz. whole tomatoes and their juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large stock pot over medium low heat, melt butter. Add garlic, red onion, basil, salt pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Whisk in the flour and continue cooking until the flour is fragrant and a light brown color.
- Whisk in the V8 a little at a time, allowing the flour mixture to smoothly whisk into the liquid. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and continue cooking, covered for 15 minutes.
- Either using an immersion blender or working in batches with a stand blender, puree the soup.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in the heavy cream.
Serve with crusty bread.
The immersion blender we used was the Hamilton Beach 597652 two speed hand blender, it’s not the most expensive but it get’s very good ratings and it certainly worked well for us.