Cuban Breaded Steak (Bistec Empanizado)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 thin-sliced top sirloin steaks – Make sure steaks are cut thinly by the butcher (preferably 1/4 inch) thick).
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup sour orange juice
- 1 cup cracker meal (grounded)
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- Salt and grounded black pepper
- In a large bowl, place the sour orange juice, garlic, and onion.
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper to both sides of all six steaks, and place steaks in large bowl with marinade. If all the pieces don’t fit, use multiple bowls.
- Cover and marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, in a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- With a flat dish, place the cracker meal and spread across the dish.
- Take the steaks out of the marinade bowl, and dip each steak entirely in the egg, then coat with cracker meal on both sides.
- Cook each steak on a frying pan with olive oil, over medium-high until cracker meal is golden brown and steaks are well done.
- Deglaze frying pan with marinade, and pour over steaks.
Usually served with white rice and black beans
Makes 6 servings