Dashi (Japanese Sea Stock)
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 oz. (30 grams) Kombu (dried kelp), about 20 square inches. We use Eden Kombu Click Here
- 2 (5-gram) packages katsuo bushi (dried bonito flakes), about 1 cup. We use Japanese Bonito Flakes Click Here
- Bring cold water and Kombu just to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Remove from heat and remove Kombu (saving other recipes).
- Sprinkle katsuo bushi over liquid; let stand 3 minutes and, if necessary, stir to make katsuo bushi sink.
- Pour through a cheesecloth-lined sieve or a coffee filter into a bowl.
- Reserve katsuo bushi for rice with soy-glazed bonito flakes and sesame seeds.
- If making stock for miso soup it is not necessary to save the Kombu or katsuo bushi.
- Stock keeps 4 days.
- Cool, uncovered, before chilling, covered.