- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 ounces (squares) chocolate
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour, substitute all – purpose flour if desired
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 7/8 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350⁰
- Pour boiling water over chocolate; stir over low heat until smooth and set; cool.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Cream shortening with sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat thoroughly.
- Blend in chocolate and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately in small amounts, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into greased 9 inch round pans and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Makes 3 (8 inch) layers
Use a Pie & Cake Marker to help in cutting equal portions.