For the Cake
- 4 1/2 cups flour; sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 lb. brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp. instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 4 cups chopped pecans
For the Butter Pecan Glaze
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cream + 1 tablespoon
- Set out butter to soften. Grease bottom of 10-inch tube or Bunt pan.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder.
- Separate eggs; beat yolks well; beat egg whites until stiff.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add beaten egg yolks, mixing well.
- Combine milk, vanilla and coffee dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water. Add alternately with dry ingredients. Fold in pecans and beaten egg whites.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Let cool in pan on cake rack. We us the Surpahs Stainless Steel 3 Tier Stackable Cooling Racks Click Here
- Remove from pan and let cool completely.
To make the glaze
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan until bubbling. Add the pecans and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Mix in the brown sugar and the cream. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a rolling boil. Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool until thickened. Drizzle over the cake.