East West stir-Fry
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1 medium carrots, peeled, cut in paper-thin strips with vegetable peeler
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, sliced lengthwise
- 1 small white turnip, peeled, thinly sliced through stems
- 1 large fresh mushroom, trimmed, thinly sliced through stems
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, washed, stemmed
- 3 cups cooked hot rice
- Chopped dry-roasted peanuts, if desired
- Shape beef into 1 large patty.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in wok over high heat.
- Add beef Patty and Brown for 2- 2 1/2 minutes on each side. Break into chunks and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Remove and set aside.
- Pour remaining 2 tablespoons oil into wok.
- When sizzling, add the onion, celery, carrots, green beans, turnip and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and reduce heat. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in honey, soy sauce and dissolved cornstarch. Return meat to wok. Place spinach on top of the meat and vegetables. Cover and steam for 1 minute.
- Uncover and stir spinach into sauce.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
- If desired, sprinkle each serving with chopped peanuts.
Makes 4-6 servings.