The 2015 Chili Cook-off at First Student Transportation located in Tonka Bay, MN. was won by Elliott Annett of Chaska, MN. The first place prize was a new Minnesota Vikings Crock Pot. Elliott was kind enough to share his winning recipe.
Elliott Annett’s 1st Place Chili Recipe
- 3 lbs. ground beef 85/15 lean
- 5 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cups celery, chopped – microwave 3 to 5 minutes to insure that celery is tender
- 2 cans light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chili beans in mild sauce, do not drain
- 2 – 14 ½ ounce cans stewed tomatoes, blended
- 1 – 14 ½ ounce can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 ounces V-8 vegetable juice
- 2 – 10 ½ ounce cans Campbell’s condensed Tomato Bisque soup
- 1/2 cup chili powder (more or less to your taste)
- 1/2 Tsp. Cayenne pepper
Garnish – Optional
- Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions Chopped
- In a large skillet cook ground beef and onions together. Drain excess grease and add to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Add celery, drained kidney beans, chili beans w/ sauce, blended stewed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes with juice, V-8 juice, tomato Bisque soup, chili powder and cayenne pepper to ground beef and onion mixture in crock pot.
- Add 2 cups water
- Stir to completely blend all ingredients.
- Simmer in crock pot on low for 6 – 8 hours stirring occasionally
- Adding additional water as needed for desired thickness
Serve with optional garnishes and crackers.
We use Cordon Bleu 16 ounce Chili Bowls to serve chili Click Here