- 6 cups water
- 5 – 15 1/2 oz. cans Seasoned Great Northern Beans* including liquid
- 2 – 15 oz. cans Seasoned Pinto Beans* including liquid
- 2 – 15 oz. cans small Butter Beans, drain liquid and rinse
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cups finely chopped carrots
- 3 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Cheyenne pepper
- 1 ham bone or smoked pork shank your choice (from this point any mention of ham bone means both ham bone or smoked pork shank)
- Using a large stock pot add 6 cups water
- Add ham bone and bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- While ham bone is simmering chop onion, carrots and celery. Steam until tender and set aside.
- Pour broth through a sieve,
- Remove ham bone and allow to cool enough to handle
- Remove all lean meat and return to broth, discard bone and gristle.
- Add onion, carrots and celery
- Add black pepper, dry mustard and Cheyenne pepper
- Simmer for another 1/2 hour stirring occasionally allowing flavors to blend.
Serve hot with a crusty bread
*We used Glory brand seasoned beans