For the Vinaigrette
- 1 head garlic, 1/2 inch cut off top to reveal cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup (2 ounces) walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 1 pound shucked fresh fava beans (from 3 pounds pods; 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn)
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Make the vinaigrette: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle garlic with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in parchment, then in foil. Bake until soft, about 30 minutes. Squeeze garlic from skins. Mash until smooth.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients with 1 tablespoon of the roasted garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
- Make the salad: Prepare an ice-water bath. Cook beans in a large pot of boiling water for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to ice-water bath. Let cool completely, and remove with the slotted spoon. Cook corn in same pot for 1 minute, and drain in a colander. Peel thin shells off beans.
- Toss cucumber, onion, parsley, feta, beans, and corn with the vinaigrette.