Yield; One batch makes 14 servings (3 ½ quarts)
- 5 packages (16 ounces each) dried beans: Lima, great northern, kidney, pinto and split peas (enough for four batches of soup)
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ quarts water
- 1 – 14 ½ ounce can stewed tomatoes
Combine beans; divide into four equal batches, about 3 ¾ cups per batch. Store 3 of the 4 batches of beans for future use.
To make one batch of soup:
- Wash one batch of beans. Place in a stock pot; add enough water to cover beans. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag.
- Return beans to kettle, add 2 ½ quarts water and spice bag. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 ½ hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove spice bag. Add stewed tomatoes and heat through.
Serve with a salad and fresh bread or rolls.