- 1 ½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), or to taste.
- 4 catfish (10 to 12 ounces each), pan dressed, with heads and tails left on
- 1 ¼ cups yellow or white cornmeal (in the south, white cornmeal is generally used; in the Midwest, yellow)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 unpeeled lemons, thinly sliced for garnish
- In a shallow pan large enough to hold the fish in a single layer, combine the buttermilk, salt, and ground red pepper. Add the fish, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once.
- Dredge the fish in the cornmeal. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the fish and fry for 4 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. We use the Good Grips Fish Turner Click Here
- Garnish with lemon slices.
Serve with Hush Puppies.