- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup low-fat (1% milk fat) milk
- ½ to 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 medium-size green tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick (1lb.)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil or bacon drippings
- In a pie plate, whisk the egg, milk, and hot pepper sauce. In a cup, mix the sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the cornmeal on a plate. Dip the tomato slices into the egg mixture, sprinkle with the sugar mixture, then coat with the cornmeal.
- In a 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Slide in about half of the tomato slices, without crowding, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden-brown; transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining oil and tomatoes.
Due to the tomatoes losing their crispy texture if left standing, it is recommended that they are serve immediately.