Our friends at Wikipedia describe the Pacific geoduck “gooey duck”), as a very large, edible saltwater clam which is native to the west coast of North America.
Geoduck can be found as a regular menu item of seafood restaurants throughout the Northwestern United States
Geoduck Deep Dish Pie
- 1 double crust pie dough recipe (use your favorite pie dough recipe)
- 1.5 to 2.5 pound Geoduck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 red potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 handful of Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1-2 tablespoons Mama Lil’s Peppers or other pickled Hungarian peppers, (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- A few shavings of black truffle, (optional)
- 1 egg yolk + 2 teaspoons water
Preparing the Geoduck Meat
- Boil a big pot of water. With tongs quickly submerge the entire geoduck, shell and all, in the boiling water. After ten seconds, with tongs remove the geoduck.
- With a sharp knife, quickly make a cut along the inside of each shell to remove the meat. Make an additional cut along the middle of the body and remove and discard everything inside. Remove the siphon casing on the long neck of the geoduck. Rinse the body and siphon meat well in very cold water.
- Slice and chop the mantle and siphon meat much like you would for stir fry or small pieces of meat for stew.
Making the Filling
- Chop onions, garlic, celery, parsley and sauté in olive oil over medium low heat.
- In another pan cook bacon over medium heat.
- Drain on paper towels and then chop into 1 inch size pieces and add to onion mixture.
- Add the herbs, geoduck and optional peppers. Cook slowly for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the optional truffle shavings.
- Set aside to cool.
Constructing the Pie
- Roll out a pie dough and place in pie pan.
- Pour in the cooled filling.
- Roll out the top crust and place over the filling.
- Crimp edges and cut a few vents on top of the pie.
- Fork beat egg yolk and water together in small bowl and brush over the top of the pie.
Baking the Pie
- Place pie on center rack of oven that has been preheated to 425⁰F. and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 375⁰F. and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until you see some steam coming out of the vents and the top of the pie is golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve.