- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 tablespoons rice wine or sake
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 6 scallions, ends trimmed, white and green parts separated, and finely chopped
- Cut or snap off green bean ends. If Beans are very long, cut on diagonal into 3 inch pieces.
- In a bowl, combine rice wine or sake, sugar, and 1/2 cup water until sugar is almost completely dissolved.
- Heat oil in a heavy, deep sauté pan or wok with a lid until very hot.
- Add ginger and scallion white parts and sauté over high heat 10 to 15 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add scallion green parts and stir-fry to mix.
- Add beans and stir-fry 1 minute. Add sauce, toss lightly to mix, and heat until sauce is boiling.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender.
- Uncover, increase heat to high, and continue cooking, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes, until sauce is thickened and reduced to a glaze.
- Transfer to a bowl or platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings