Golabki, (Polish Stuffed Cabbage)
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 lbs. ground beef (don’t use overly lean meat)
- 1 lb. ground pork (or veal if you do not eat pork, don’t use overly lean meat)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 eggs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons marjoram
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon thyme (or sage)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Core cabbage and place in a large pot of boiling water, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes until soft enough to pull off the leaves Repeat till all the large leaves are removed.
- Sauté onion in oil till transparent.
- In a large bowl, mix meat, onion, rice, egg, salt & pepper.
- Place heaping tablespoon of meat mixture on each leaf.
- Fold sides over filling while rolling leaf around filling.
- Chop remaining cabbage and place half in the bottom of a Dutch oven.
- Layer cabbage rolls then cover with remaining chopped cabbage.
- Combine tomato soup with water, stir till smooth, and then pour over cabbage and rolls.
- Cover; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.