- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup lard
- ½ cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 3 pounds cooking apples, peeled, pared, cut in sixteenths
- Combine flour with baking powder and salt, mix completely.
- Cut in lard until mixture is in coarse crumbs.
- Mix water, egg yolks and lemon juice; add to flour mixture. Blend gently with fork. (Mixture is very moist)
- Wrap in waxed paper; chill at least six hours or overnight.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt in a saucepan; add water. Cook, stirring frequently, for five minutes.
- Add apples; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Divide pastry in half; role one piece on well-floured pastry cloth or board into a rectangle about 15 x 11”, using a stocking covered rolling pin; turn out into a Jelly Roll baking pan.
- Bring dough up against sides of pan about 1 inch.
- Turn apple mixture into pan.
- Roll the remaining dough to fit top of pan. Cut steam vents; lay over apples. Press edges of dough firmly together; seal.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes more.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into 3 inch squares.
- Spread a thin confectioner’s sugar icing over the top