- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 large or 4 smaller 1-inch-thick slices watermelon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or mild chili powder (to taste)
Watermelon & Onion Prep
- Place sliced onion in a bowl and cover with water and 1 teaspoon of the vinegar. Soak 5 minutes, then drain and rinse. Spread on paper towels.
- Cut each watermelon slice in half, creating wedges. We use the Ontario Knife Co. Watermelon Knife Click Here
- Lightly sprinkle the wedges on both sides with the salt. Stand the wedges on their edges on a rack over a pan and let them drain for half an hour. Reserve juice.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- After the watermelon has drained, rinse each piece under cold running water. Place each piece between two folded paper towels and gently but firmly press to remove excess water. You should stop just when you feel the watermelon begin to crunch.
- Use 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to brush the watermelon wedges lightly. Grill for about 3 minutes per side, or until charred. Remove from heat, remove rind and dice.
Assembly of salad
- Transfer, with reserved juice, to a large salad bowl.
- Add onions and remaining ingredients and toss together.
- Let sit for a few minutes and serve warm or serve cold by refrigerating for an hour.
Makes 4 servings