- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose or 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- One large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Two large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces on sweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- About 2 tablespoons hot water
We use the Wilton 9″ x 2 1/4″ Heart Shaped Non-Stick Pan Click Here
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Beat all ingredients except cream filling and chocolate glazed in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about one hour.
- Makes cream filling and chocolate glaze. Split cake horizontally in half. Spread filling over bottom layer; top with top layer.
- Spread glaze over top of cake.
- Decorate with valentine candies
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt into 2 quart saucepan.
- Mix milk and egg yolks; gradually stir into sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir one minute; remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Press plastic wrap and filling to prevent a layer of skin from forming on top; cool
- Melt butter and chocolate in 1 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently; remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable.