- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 6 celery stalks, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups milk
- In a large stock pot, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In the same kettle sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper; gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Gently stir in cooked vegetables.
- Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is of desired consistency.
Serve with salad and fresh bread.
Makes 8 – 10 servings