- 4 pounds assorted apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups Apple cider
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Combine the apples, apple cider, Brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, partially cover and cook until the apples are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves. Purée the mixture in a blender in batches until smooth (or use an immersion blender).
- Return the mixture to the pot and bake, uncovered, stirring every 30 minutes, until thickened and deep amber, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours (the timing will depend on the kind of Apples you use). Remove from the oven and let cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to five days.
This recipe is easily doubled and makes a great gift when packed in 4 oz. jelly jars