- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour, if desired substitute all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 ounces (squares) chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Cream shortening with sugar and honey until fluffy.
- Add egg yolk and chocolate and beat thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients and liquids alternately in small amounts, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into greased cake pan and bake at 350° for 40 – 45 minutes.
Makes one 9 inch round cake
Use a Pie & Cake Marker to help in cutting equal portions.